.

.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Don't Be So Quick To Judge

I had a couple of eye-opening experiences this week that I would love to share with you all. You just have to promise not to judge me for judging in the first place :)

Experience #1- I was sitting in my FCHD class a few minutes early just doing my own thing. Ya know, listening to my iPod, getting my notebook ready to a new page and what not. Soon after, my professor came into the room and started class. I was sitting right next to the door because I have to slip out a few minutes early to get to my next class on time. There are only three seats on the front row that I was sitting and and there was no one next to me but there was an older lady sitting in the third seat. She is a very nice lady and dresses surprisingly trendy for a woman of her age (that has nothing to do with this story, just thought I would share) I started thinking, SWEET! I can have some room since no one is sitting next to me. So I got comfortable just taking my notes when another woman came into the room. She was younger than the first woman but old enough to be a mother, and sat in the chair next to me, which I was bummed about, but quickly got over. She sat down and took her coat off and let's just say that her deodorant wasn't working. Right away I started thinking, "Seriously? Take a shower." While I tried to breathe through  my mouth. She then reached into her bag and pulled out a tattered old notebook. She began flipping through the pages trying to find a blank one among all the scribbled on pages. Page after page was covered in marker scribbles and little drawings that looked like a 3 year old had some fun. I felt overwhelming sadness for thinking what I thought and figured that may she didn't even have enough money to buy a new notebook. I was really beating myself up when she started digging through her bag again, clearly looking for something to write with. She didn't find one in her bag, so she checked her coat pockets, then checked her bag again. I felt terrible for what I had been thinking so I handed her the one I was using and grabbed another pen from my bag.

Experience #2- Kels, Em and I were driving down the road, on our way to Wal-Mart when we noticed a car a little ways ahead of us stopped at a green light. we started saying things like, "wow, really?" and "What is this person doing? they're in our way." and things like that. So we swerved to the lane next to the car and got stopped at a red light. We looked over to the car next to us and the girl in the driver's seat was on the phone sobbing. Kelsie started waving her hands to get her attention and she rolled her window down. Kels asked if she needed help and still sobbing, nodded her head. We pulled the car off to the side of the road and ran back to the intersection. By the time we got there, about four other cars had also stopped to help her out. Loads of boys piled out of the car to help push her to the gas station across the street since that is why she was chillin' in the intersection, her car was completely out of gas. Lucky for us, the boys were there because I'm not sure how effective just the three of us pushing would have been! Once she was at a pump, most of the boys left but Dylan, Nelson and some other of Tara's neighbors stayed with us to make sure that she got some gas in her car and would be alright. Kelsie, Emily and I gave her our numbers in case she needed a friend and told her to call or text us anytime. We found out that she was kicked out of where she was living and had no place to stay. I offered her our apartment since we have an extra bed but she said she was staying with a friend and would figure it out with her parents in the morning. We hugged her and went on our way. she texted us a little later and told us that we made her terrible night just a little bit brighter. We went on our way and haven't heard from her since.

Moral of both of these stories....? Don't judge people before you know what's happening in their lives. That the most cliche thing ever said, but it's completely true!! I learned two great last week that I thought I already knew but hey.. .they say you learn something new everyday :)

Until Next Time, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment